Definition of English hawthorn
: either of two Eurasian hawthorns (Crataegus oxyacantha and C. monogyna) that have deeply cleft leaves and bright red fruits, that are extensively cultivated as ornamentals and under cultivation have developed varied plant forms and flower form and color, and that are established as escapes in much of eastern North America
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?