El·e·phan·ti·dae | \ ˌeləˈfantəˌdē\
Definition of Elephantidae
: a family of bulky mammals (order Proboscidea) comprising the recent elephants and related extinct forms (such as the mammoths) that differ from these chiefly in respect to their dentition and in former classifications including also the mastodons
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?