El·e·o·tri·dae | \ ˌelēˈō‧trəˌdē\
Definition of Eleotridae
: a large widely distributed family of chiefly small fishes comprising the sleepers that are closely related to and sometimes included among the gobies from which they are distinguished by pelvic fins that are separate and do not form a cup or disk
Keep scrolling for more
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game