Dyu·la | \ dēˈülə, ˈdyü-\
plural Dyula or Dyulas
Definition of Dyula
1a : a people who live widely scattered among other peoples in the Ivory Coast, Upper Volta, and neighboring parts of West Africa, many of whom are active traders
b : a member of such people
2 : a Mande language of the Dyula people that is widely used as a trade language in the Ivory Coast and Upper Volta — compare mandingo
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?