variants: or Dolly Varden trout
Definition of Dolly Varden
: a large freshwater or anadromous char (Salvelinus malma) that is widespread in streams of northwestern North America and eastern Asia, may attain a weight of 20 pounds (9.1 kilograms) but is usually much smaller, and is typically olive green to greenish-brown with yellow to red spots when found in fresh water and silvery with orange spots in salt water
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game