Definition of Deinotherium
: a genus (usually coextensive with the family Deinotheriidae and suborder Deinotherioidea of the order Proboscidea) comprising Miocene and Pliocene mammals of Europe and Asia related to but often larger than the elephants and distinguished by a pair of tusks directed downward from the decurved apex of the lower jaw
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game