Definition of Deimos
: the smaller and outermost of the two satellites of Mars with an irregular shape and a diameter of approximately 9 miles (15 km) Other small bodies in the solar system may be asteroids. Phobos and Deimos, the two satellites of Mars, the eight outer moons of Jupiter and the Saturnian satellite Phoebe appear to be captured asteroids.— Richard P. Binzel et al., Scientific American, October 1991
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game