Definition of Deimos
: the smaller and outermost of the two satellites of Mars with an irregular shape and a diameter of approximately 9 miles (15 km) Other small bodies in the solar system may be asteroids. Phobos and Deimos, the two satellites of Mars, the eight outer moons of Jupiter and the Saturnian satellite Phoebe appear to be captured asteroids.— Richard P. Binzel et al., Scientific American, October 1991
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game