Cyt·tar·ia | \ sə̇ˈta(a)rēə\
Definition of Cyttaria
: a genus of ascomycetous fungi typifying the family Cyttariaceae and comprising the beech fungi that are parasitic on certain evergreen beeches of the southern hemisphere and that have apothecia sunken in the surface of stalked often brightly colored subspherical stromata which are gelatinous at maturity and used as food in southern South America
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game