Cy·nip·i·dae | \ sə̇ˈnipəˌdē\
Definition of Cynipidae
: a large family of small hymenopterous insects (superfamily Cynipoidea) comprising the gall wasps most of which produce galls on plants (such as oaks and rosebushes) in which their larvae develop — see cynips
Keep scrolling for more
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game