Definition of Cumberland
1 river 687 miles (1106 kilometers) long in southern Kentucky and northern Tennessee flowing west into the Ohio River
2 city on the Potomac River in northwestern Maryland population 20,859
3 town in northeastern Rhode Island in an area that was originally part of Massachusetts population 33,506
4 former county of northwestern England; capital Carlisle — see cumbria
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game