Cryp·to·bran·chi·dae | \ ˌkriptəˈbraŋkəˌdē\
Definition of Cryptobranchidae
: a family of large aquatic salamanders including the American hellbenders and the Asian giant salamanders, all distinguished by amphicoelous vertebrae, external fertilization, and the absence of eyelids and of lacrimal and septomaxillary bones and with Hynobiidae forming a suborder of Caudata comprising primitive salamanders with relatively generalized skeletons
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
- Is 'Cement' 'Concrete'?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game