Definition of Crossopterygii
1 : a superorder of Choanichthyes comprising the lobe-finned fishes that have existed since the Devonian but are now largely extinct, that have paired fins somewhat resembling limbs with a scaly axis fringed on one or both sides by dermal rays, and that are generalized fishes in some respects resembling elasmobranchs and in others foreshadowing terrestrial vertebrates which may have evolved from unknown early members of the group — compare latimeria
2 in some classifications : a division of fishes coextensive with Choanichthyes or comprising Choanichthyes together with Cladistia — compare actinistia , rhipidistia
Keep scrolling for more
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game