Definition of Crossopterygii
1 : a superorder of Choanichthyes comprising the lobe-finned fishes that have existed since the Devonian but are now largely extinct, that have paired fins somewhat resembling limbs with a scaly axis fringed on one or both sides by dermal rays, and that are generalized fishes in some respects resembling elasmobranchs and in others foreshadowing terrestrial vertebrates which may have evolved from unknown early members of the group — compare latimeria
2 in some classifications : a division of fishes coextensive with Choanichthyes or comprising Choanichthyes together with Cladistia — compare actinistia , rhipidistia
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game