Croc·o·dyl·i·dae | \ -ˈdiləˌdē\
Definition of Crocodylidae
: a family of the order Loricata variously construed as including all recent and some fossil crocodilians or as comprising only the true crocodiles, the alligators, caimans, and gavials being excluded
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game