Court of Wards
variants: or Court of Wards and Liveries
Definition of Court of Wards
: an English court of record under the feudal system having jurisdiction over matters dealing with estates held of the Crown including their transfer from a deceased tenant to his heir and the payment of taxes and rents due the Crown from such estates
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?