Court of Wards
variants: or Court of Wards and Liveries
Definition of Court of Wards
: an English court of record under the feudal system having jurisdiction over matters dealing with estates held of the Crown including their transfer from a deceased tenant to his heir and the payment of taxes and rents due the Crown from such estates
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game