Court of King's Bench
variants: or Court of Queen's Bench
Definition of Court of King's Bench
: a former superior court presided over by the sovereign of England and following his or her person and now forming the King's Bench or Queen's Bench Division of the High Court of Justice entertaining as a superior court of record criminal cases on its crown side and civil cases on its plea side and embracing the jurisdiction of the former Court of Common Pleas and Court of Exchequer
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game