Congo floor flynoun
Definition of Congo floor fly
: a large yellowish brown fly (Auchmeromyia luteola) of tropical Africa related to the blowflies and having spiny nocturnal larvae that live in the earthen floors of native huts and come out at night to suck the blood of the occupants
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?