Con·gi·o·pod·i·dae | \ ˌkänjē(ˌ)ōˈpädə̇ˌdē\
Definition of Congiopodidae
: a small family (type genus Congiopodus) of marine fishes (order Scleroparei) of the tropical southern hemisphere having a compressed elongated body, a pronounced snout, a small protractile mouth, and a head partly covered with bony plates
Keep scrolling for more
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game