Definition of Columbia
(Entry 1 of 2)
: the United States
Definition of Columbia (Entry 2 of 2)
1 river 1214 miles (1953 kilometers) long in southwestern Canada and the northwestern part of the U.S. rising in southeastern British Columbia and flowing south and west into the Pacific
2 planned city in central Maryland between Baltimore and Washington, D.C. population 99,615
3 city north of Jefferson City in central Missouri population 108,500
4 city on the Congaree River in west central South Carolina population 129,272
Note: Columbia is the state capital of South Carolina.
5 city in central Tennessee south-southwest of Nashville population 34,681
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game