Chinese water torturenoun
Definition of Chinese water torture
: a form of torture in which a person is restrained and subjected to repetitive drips of water on the forehead I heard beeping for two days … It was driving me crazy like Chinese water torture. — Carol Kallberg, Daily Record (Wooster, Ohio), 14 Oct. 2012 —often used figuratively Better to execute layoffs quickly and decisively, experts say … The alternate—the drip-drip-drip of repeated downsizings—is a Chinese water torture that kills morale and productivity.— Daniel McGinn, Newsweek, 25 June 2001
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game