Chinese lantern plantnoun
Definition of Chinese lantern plant
: a perennial Old World ground-cherry (Physalis alkekengi) that is widely cultivated for its showy inflated leafy calyxes that are brilliant orange-red when mature and are often used for decoration
— called also winter cherry
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game