variants: or Chinese fir
Definition of China fir
: a usually tall, evergreen tree (Cunninghamia lanceolata) of China and Taiwan that has flattened green to bluish-green needles spirally arranged along spreading branches and brown bark which peels off in strips to reveal a reddish inner bark and that is valued as an ornamental and timber tree
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?