variants: or less commonly Chien yao \ -n¦yau̇ \
Definition of Chien ware
: a dark Chinese stoneware dating from the Sung period that usually has a brown-mottled black glaze and is used especially for tea wares
Keep scrolling for more
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game