Definition of Cheshire
1 town in southern Connecticut southwest of Meriden population 29,261
2 or Chester \ ˈche-stər \ former county of northwestern England that bordered on Wales and had the city of Chester as its capital area 929 square miles (2406 square kilometers); formed 1974; abolished 2009
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game