Definition of Chesapeake canoe
: a fishing and working craft of Chesapeake Bay, from 20 feet to 40 feet long, rigged with one or two masts and leg-of-mutton sails spread by means of sprits, and sometimes with a jib of peculiar shape, originally built from a single log and later from three, five, or seven logs bolted together — compare bugeye
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game