Definition of Chechnya
republic of southeastern Russia in Europe on the northern slopes of the Caucasus Mountains; capital Grozny area 4750 square miles (12,302 square kilometers), population 1,103,686
Note: Russian suppression of an independence movement resulted in extensive violence in Chechnya throughout most of the 1990s and into the 2000s.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game