Definition of Charleston
(Entry 1 of 2)
: a lively ballroom dance in which the knees are twisted in and out and the heels are swung sharply outward on each step
Definition of Charleston (Entry 2 of 2)
1 city and port on the Atlantic in southeastern South Carolina population 120,083
2 city and capital of West Virginia located on the Kanawha River population 51,400
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game