Cha·obor·i·dae | \ ˌkāəˈbȯrəˌdē, -är- \
Definition of Chaoboridae
: a family of gnats related to and often included as a subfamily of Culicidae but distinguished by the short mouth parts, nonbiting habit, and absence of scales on the wing veins and with larvae that are aquatic and predaceous on other insect larvae (as those of mosquitoes)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game