Definition of Chamaeleon
1 : a large genus (the type of the family Chamaeleontidae) of lizards including most of the Old World chameleons — compare rhiptoglossa
2 astronomy : a constellation visible near the south celestial pole that is represented by a figure of a chameleon A search through observations by the Hubble Space Telescope identified the brown dwarf, which is in the constellation Chamaeleon, about 500 light-years away. — Grand Rapid Press, 11 Dec. 2005
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game