Definition of Chaetopterus
: a genus (the type of the small family Chaetopteridae) of large marine polychaete worms that inhabit parchmentlike U-shaped tubes open at both ends, are highly bioluminescent, and have one pair of large lateral appendages and several broad fanlike membranous folds by which they maintain a current of water within the tube
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game