Chae·to·dip·ter·us | \ -ˈdiptərəs\
Definition of Chaetodipterus
: a genus of spadefishes (family Ephippidae) found in warm seas along both coasts of America and distinguished by protractile premaxillaries and dorsal spines of unequal length
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?