Cata·se·tum | \ ˌkatəˈsētəm\
Definition of Catasetum
: a genus of tropical American orchids having globose expanded flowers in racemes and the column provided with a sensitive appendage that when touched releases the pollen suddenly from the stamens — see jumping orchid
Keep scrolling for more
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game