Cast·ner cell | \ ˈkastnə(r)-\
Definition of Castner cell
1 : a rocking cell with a layer of mercury on the bottom for making sodium hydroxide and chlorine by electrolysis of sodium chloride solution
2 : a cell for making metallic sodium and hydrogen by electrolysis of fused sodium hydroxide
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game