Cas·ta·nop·sis | \ ˌkastəˈnäpsə̇s\
Definition of Castanopsis
: a small genus of trees (family Fagaceae) that contains one or two species in the Pacific coastal U.S. and a number in Asia and is closely related to Castanea but whose members are distinguished by having numerous bud scales on each bud, persistent leaves, a 3-celled ovary, and a fruit consisting of a nut that ripens at the end of the second season — see chinquapin
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game