Definition of Carolina bay
: any of various shallow often oval depressions in the coastal plain of the southeastern U.S. ranging from a few hundred feet to several miles long and being usually marshy and rich in humus, heavily forested, and covered with a pure stand of trees (as cypress, bay, or black gum) different from the dominant tree (as pine) of surrounding areas
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game