Definition of Caravaggisti
: artists of the 17th century who were influenced by or worked in the style of the Italian painter Michelangelo Merisi Caravaggio In the Netherlands in the 1620s, the Utrecht Caravaggisti set the fashion for life-size half-length genre figures: drinkers, lute players and singers.— Melissa Percival, Fragonard and the Fantasy Figure: Painting the Imagination, 2012
Keep scrolling for more
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game