Definition of Canada jay
: a jay (Perisoreus canadensis) having gray and sooty plumage and no crest, widely distributed in northern and western North America, ranging southward in the Rocky mountains, and noted for its boldness in stealing provisions from hunters' camps
— called also camp robber, moosebird, whisky jack— see rocky mountain jay
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game