Definition of Canada
country of northern North America between the Pacific, Atlantic, and Arctic oceans including Newfoundland and the Arctic islands north of the mainland and sharing a nearly 4000 mile (more than 6400 kilometer) border with the U.S.; an independent state within the Commonwealth of Nations; capital Ottawa area 3,851,809 square miles (10,014,703 square kilometers), population 33,476,688
see also canadian
Keep scrolling for more
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game