Cal·yp·tra·tae | \ -ätˌē, -āt-\
Definition of Calyptratae
: a group of dipterous flies (suborder Schizophora) including in recent classifications the Muscidae and related families distinguished by the large calypters
Keep scrolling for more
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game