Cal·lis·te·phus | \ kəˈlistəfəs\
Definition of Callistephus
: a genus of erect Asian herbs (family Compositae) having ovate alternate leaves of which the upper become narrow and spatulate, leafy reflexed outer involucral bracts, and showy solitary flower heads that are two to five inches across — see china aster
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game