variants: or callery pear
Definition of Callery pear
1 : a deciduous tree (Pyrus calleryana) of the rose family that has upright branches forming a conical crown, heart-shaped glossy leaves with finely serrated margins, showy clusters of white flowers, and small, bitter, brownish round fruits
Note: The Callery pear is native to China, Japan, Vietnam, and Korea. Its twigs are often tipped with a single thorn.
2 : any of several thornless ornamental cultivars of the Callery pear Callery pears … have earned both a 2005 Urban Tree of the Year award … and a place on the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service list of highly invasive plants in the Mid-Atlantic.— Susan Milius especially : bradford pear … the campaign to curtail the planting of ornamental Bradford pears (also called callery pears). These trees are notorious for "weak crotches," which are right where the heavy snow broke off limbs. — Michael Martin
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game