Definition of California quail
: a quail (Callipepla californica synonym Lophortyx californica) that has a large forwardly curving black crest, the back brownish gray, the throat black bordered by white, the breast bluish, and the belly and flanks marked with black, white, and chestnut, and that inhabits humid and arid regions from Baja California to southern Oregon
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game