California gray whalenoun
Definition of California gray whale
: gray whale Something about the species has enabled the California gray whale, as the eastern Pacific animal is misleadingly called, to come back from the brink—even though many other whales aren't recovering.— Ted Williams, Audubon, November/December 1998
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?