Definition of California gnatcatcher
: a bluish-gray gnatcatcher (Polioptila californica) native to coastal scrubland from southern California to Baja California that closely resembles the black-tailed gnatcatcher but with less white on the underside of the tail The California gnatcatcher is a threatened, small bird species with a call that resembles a kitten's mew. It has been the center of multiple habitat-conservation efforts along the Southern California coast.— Mark Glover, Sacramento Bee, 26 Sept. 2012
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game