Cain·ite | \ ˈkāˌnīt\
Definition of Cainite
1 : a descendant of Cain, one of the sons of Adam
2 [ Late Latin Cainita, from Cain + Latin -ita -ite ] : a member of a gnostic sect that regarded the Old Testament as an account of the work of a demiurge and a distortion of the true nature of such men as Cain, whom they honored
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game