Ca·hens·ly·ism | \ kəˈhenzlēˌizəm, -n(t)sl-\
Definition of Cahenslyism
: a movement to divide the foreign-born Roman Catholic population of the U.S. for ecclesiastical purposes according to European nationalities and to appoint bishops and priests of the same national origin and language as the majority of the members of a diocese or parish
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?