variants: or Burns stanza \ ˈbərnz- , ˈbə̄nz- , ˈbəinz- \
Definition of Burns meter
: a stanza often used by Robert Burns and other Scottish poets consisting of six lines rhyming aaabab of which the fourth and sixth are regularly iambic dimeters and the others iambic tetrameters
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game