Bro·me·li·a·ce·ae | \ brōˌmēlēˈāsēˌē\
Definition of Bromeliaceae
: a family of tropical American epiphytic or terrestrial herbs or subshrubs (order Xyridales) that have basal often spiny leaves and flowers in dense spikes, panicles, or heads with large often colored bracts and that include several plants (such as the pineapple) of economic importance
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game