Definition of Bremen
1 former duchy of northern Germany between the lower Weser and the lower Elbe rivers
2 state of northwestern Germany in two noncontiguous sections, one containing the city of Bremen, the other containing Bremerhaven, and both surrounded by Lower Saxony area 156 square miles (404 square kilometers), population 681,700
Note: Bremen is Germany's smallest and least populous state.
3 city, port on the Weser River, and capital of the German state of Bremen population 542,707
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game