variants: or Brahmany kite \ ˈbrämə̇nē- , -rȧm- \
Definition of Brahminy kite
: a common kite (Haliastur indus) that is largely chestnut red with white breast and head striped with black, is widely distributed from India to the Solomon islands and the Philippines, and is held sacred by the Hindus
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game