Definition of Bourdon tube
: a thin-walled flattened tube of elastic metal bent into a circular arc whose application to certain pressure gauges and thermometers depends upon the fact that increase of pressure inside the tube tends to straighten it — see bourdon gauge , bourdon spring
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game